SARC Events


SARC Events


FoxHunt
Video
SARC Courses
Course Information
Field Day
Video

2023-08-15

Another1/4 wave antenna solution

 Quick & dirty... but it works

I picked up a Chinese-made 1/4 wave mag mount for my car. I also wanted to be able to use it in the house, but needed a ground plane and didn't have the room/material for a proper sized solid ground plane. I came up with a super simple solution that would work for you as well. I took some 12ga NMD-90 "Standard House Wiring", cut single strands into pieces 4' long and then bent them into a 'V' and stripped the wire off the centre. 

I made 3 of these, and then placed them under a piece of metal I had lying around to electrically bond them all together to create a 6 radial ground plane that the mag mount could sit on. I'm getting great receive, and was full quieting on the VE7RPT (Seymour repeater) last night and today. I was able to activate one of the repeaters in Abbotsford, and also the one at the top of the mountain near Blaine, WA last night. Unfortunately nobody else was on for a QSO. 

Below are some pictures for reference if you want to make one yourself.




73!

~ Warren Moxley


No comments:

Post a Comment

Counterpoise, Radials, and Ground Plane

Not simply different names for the same thing Counterpoise, radials, and ground plane are not simply different names for the same thing. The...

The most viewed...